[ale] Is there an Oracle 12 database download for Linux?

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu Sep 21 13:58:05 EDT 2017

For the most part Oracle doesn’t require root to install but it does require root.sh scripts to be run at end of install for final touches.   At one point I created a sudo command to run that:
a) Limited what directories it could be run from.
b) Emailed a copy of the root.sh to admins BEFORE it actually ran it so we could verify there was no backdoor being added to the script by a smart DBA.

Also we’ve seen the OUI pukes if it finds things not already set the way it wants and often enough what it thinks it wants differs from what the pre-installation stuff tells you it will want.   A lot of Oracle stuff wants X even if run in the background so we install Xvfb for their background processes.

Note that Oracle loves to audit so make sure you’re NOT installing on any system for which you’ve not gotten a license.