[ale] Desirable networking equipment nowadays

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Wed Sep 20 22:38:30 EDT 2017

Hey ALE I could use some advice/pointers for some networking stuff.

I need to set-up/update networking at a home & a small office.

Probably need something like an 8-port switch for the house
along with wifi.

Office doesn't need but a coupla ports + wifi.

I've had good luck over the years with Asus, a RT-N16 running DD-WRT
and a RT-AC68P.  Both got lightning-toasted sometime back & I picked
up another RT-AC68P.

I was thinking of another couple of the 68Ps but recently there
was nice discussion here of Ubiquiti gear; maybe I should
be looking more into that?  Asus works nicely with DD-WRT,
etc. & according to DD-WRT's hardware list, so does Ubiquiti.
(Don't know how appropriate though I guess.)

With Ubiquiti, it looks like they separate the various
components, so I'd guess that per location I need a gateway,
a switch and a couple of those hockey-puck wifi transceivers(?)
No need for rack mounting.

Thoughts?

Thanks, -k