[ale] Containers... use?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:09:53 EDT 2017

Docker containers with Kubernetes or Mesos orchestration is the “now” in web microservices all the way up to enterprise applications.  Further “densifying” existing hardware and enabling the autoscaling of current infra is the most common use.

I’ve got about 80k systems utilizing containers (lxc and Docker) and am migrating wholesale to Docker.  We’re also using the container model to easily ship app images between public cloud providers and on-prem cloud as well as to deliver Development fully functional deploy images for testing in each of the supported environments.

Just think “virtualized apps instead of machines” and you’ve got it.

As for security, there are tools for that.
As for orchestration, there are tools for that.
As for logging and visibility, there are tools for that.

And in each case there are both productized and open source solutions available.

I hear the same skepticism we all had to VMs in 1997-2000 with containers, and it’s everything the same all over again, IMO.

It’s the way you massively scale today in huge enterprises (I have over 160k nodes in our environments)

I’d strongly encourage any Sysadmin to know containers (lxc or Docker), as it will be very important moving forward in the industry.

—Jerald