[ale] Containers... use?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Fri Sep 15 23:54:24 EDT 2017

On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:30:01 -0400
"Raj Wurttemberg" <rajaw at c64.us> wrote:

> Are any of you using containers for anything? Most of my customers
> are SAP HANA (2 to 4TB of RAM and 20 to 60 CPU cores). The technology
> looks cool... I just can't find a use for it.

I use Void Linux, which doesn't have the broad access to software that,
let's say, Debian has. Also, Debian has lots of software that doesn't
really work, or that their "devs" decided to put wierd defaults for. So
you take a distro that does a piece of software really well, and make a
container to run that piece of software. So far I've done that only
with VMs, but I'm going to try to do it with Vagrant pretty soon.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr