[ale] need input on wobbling decision making on the PC

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Sep 14 12:42:28 EDT 2017

BTW, for transcoding, more than 6G RAM is overkill.

Why don't you transcode something on your current PC?  How long does it
take?  Is that acceptable or not?  What is the "passmark" for it?  Now
use those amazing fractions to guestimate what the CPU you want will
take to transcode the same file.  Is that acceptable?

I would also look at the required power used - which leads to the fan
needed which leads to the noise created.  If the system is alone in the
basement, perhaps noise doesn't matter to you?  Mine sit in my home
office, so noise and excess heat is unacceptable to me.

Every other time you post, it includes running a few VMs.  More CPUs
helps with running more VMs.

Is it worth it?

It depends. We cannot say.

On 09/14/2017 12:26 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> It depends.
>
> On 09/14/2017 12:11 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha wrote:
>> Friends:
>>
>> I am trying to  a PC for transcoding purposes and dont want to spend a
>> lot if I can avoid.
>>
>> I was almost ready with Microcenter for
>>
>> FX 8350 CPU with eight cores ($70) PassMark of CPU is 8900
>> Mother board  ASUS  ($80)
>> Memory 16GB CAS9 ($120)
>> Paste is $4
>>
>> All together with taxes = = 282 (no case, no disk, no vid card, key
>> board etc., etc.,  not that  ineed it)
>> I can reuse existing case.

>> However I saw this for $180 all inclusive.
>> https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA5YV4XJ8211?icid=WP_0_09102017
>>
>> The PassMark for the CPU - Intel Core i5-2400 Quad Core Processor -
>> 3.1GHz is  5907

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.