[ale] Installfest do's and dont's....

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Sep 10 11:44:39 EDT 2017

On 09/10/2017 11:17 AM, William Bagwell wrote:
> On Sunday 10 September 2017, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> Volunteers really shouldn't touch the computer at all.
>> The owner should do all the typing, mousing, media handling.
>
> Not the case long ago when I last attended one. Probably a good thing though!
>
> Something not mentioned that I'm sure most on this list know. However, all
> the volunteers should be aware of just in case. While most Linux distros
> play nice with Windows and a newbie can often install Linux with little or
> no help. They still do not play well with each other and if a nut case like
> I was shows up wanting a triple boot please get them some serious help.
> Perhaps even a Psychiatrist;-)
>
> Does not seem like it has been 14 years since Slackware ate my Mandrake.

If any volunteer is in over their head, they need to ask for help.  We
were also extremely clear with the owners yesterday that they needed to
make a 100% know-they-can-restore backup BEFORE showing up.  I think my
exact words were "if you want a dual-boot system, it is possible to walk
away with a system that will not boot any OS."

Then I suggested using virtualization on a system they cannot be
without. Much less risk.