[ale] Systemd rants (was bow head)

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Sep 9 20:56:23 EDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 06:36:22PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Strawman because nobody was discussing "coalescing malloc
> implementations" nor any kind of CS course. The discussion (so neatly
> snipped from the quote) was about how simple runit is, so simple in
> fact that I basically bolted together a similar init out of Suckless
> Init, daemontools-encore, and a few home-grown shellscripts.

Since you're also incapable of understanding subtelties, let me be more
direct. Writing an init and a malloc implementation were just two of the
many exercises expected of all students enrolled in CS3411 in the late
'90s at Georgia Tech.

So, again, congratulations on your college-junior-level accomplishment,
but your appeal to self-authority doesn't really stand for much when
what you've described is documented in the 20-year old textbook
("Operating System Concepts" by Galvin et al) used by that class, to say
nothing about the excellent texts about UNIX internals by W. Richard
Stephens and literally decades worth of UNIX and BSD source code that's
out there for anyone to peruse should they feel inclined.

So, why is this point relevant?  It's simple -- you seem to be
completely incapable of grasping the essential premise for systemd;
Namely that traditional init is _too_ simple for the demands of modern
systems.  How, pray tell, does presenting an even _simpler_ option
provide a counterpoint to that argument?

Here's a hint: It doesn't, and in doing so, you committed a strawman
fallacy of your very own in the process.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^