[ale] Android Studio for Centos 6.7?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Thu Sep 7 13:57:00 EDT 2017

Well, I don't completely agree or disagree.

Note that I do have on my shelf Bell Labratories Unix Programmer's
Manual, Circa 1979.   I used to read cover-to-cover every few months.
I do respect linux and its parents.

In this situation:

        - Installation of Java JDK and Android Studio took 10 minutes of
        my time, following a youtube video, on an 4GB Quad-core Windows
        10 notebook.  (which, by the way, runs just fine on everything
        else. )   Studio fired up immediately, generated a Hello World
        application, and then obviously ground to a halt trying to run
        the emulator in 4GB.      That Acer notebook requires surgery
        and about $80 to rip out the 4GB and replace with 8GB.
        - Installation of Java JDK and Android Studio took 2 hours of my
        time, attempted debug of all the Java errors and inconsistencies
        in libraries, and another 4 hours of attempted debug of running
        it.   It never got through the Gradle execution to build the
        app.    I am now stuck with a Centos 6.7 box which will take
        another undetermined amount of work to rebuild as Centos 7.x.
        (Which I really cannot do, as my wife is doing billable work on
        that same box now. )  And then who knows how many more hours of
        debug will be needed running Studio on Centos 7.x?

Note that the goal here is to learn Android Studio and build a simple
sheet music playing app.   I don't CARE what platform Studio is running
on.  There are no extra points for running it on Linux.

After a bit of pondering, what I'm thinking of doing is:
A) revise my purchase of a refurb to make sure I've got room for 32GB
RAM, and 2 drive bays, and maybe spend a little more for that.
B) go ahead and use Win10 as is for Studio and learn it without extra
drama.
C) once learned, virtualize the Win10 install with whatever I used a
couple years ago to virtualize an existing windows install.   I'd have
to remember what I bought, but it did a nice job of building a
VirtualBox VM, which we then stuffed on a USB stick, and transferred to
Centos.
D) Then cram in more RAM, buy two new SATA drives, and install Centos
<whatever-is-latest> with software-raid.
E) Load Virtual Box, the Win10 VM,
F) Attempt JDK and Studio install on native Centos, but bail and use the
VM if it gives me any crap.

Yes, I'm sure there are purists that are horrified that someone would
rationally chose a non-linux platform.   Sorry, I'm a realist.    As
Clint often said, "A man HAS to know their own limitations".    Too
often if you get slightly off the beaten path with Linux you end up off
in the tall weeds with no way back to the highway.