[ale] Android Studio for Centos 6.7?

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Wed Sep 6 15:55:50 EDT 2017

I do my mobile development in VMs for precisely this reason.  The build
tools change too quickly and likely to break other things on my machine.
Operating system updates also break the build tools.

I keep multiple VMs and then install all new tools on a new VM.  Then
migrate each app to the new VM as work needs to be done on it.

Then I can get a new host machine and simply copy the VMs to the new host
and all certificates and build environments remain unchanged.

Once all apps are migrated to the new VM I delete the older VM.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:

> Trying to get the current version of Android Studio running on Centos 6.7.
>
> Lots of issues with */lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found
> (required by....*
>
> The common solution recommended is an upgrade to Centos 7.x.
>
> And the in-place upgrade doesn't work, so it's a complete re-install on a
> soft-mirrored system.  I don't relish doing that just to run Studio.
>
> Any thoughts on
>
> - compatible earlier versions of Android Studio?
> - putting later version of above library on without breaking everything?
> - doing centos 7 update?
>
> Right now it looks like the simplest way out is to buy another Windows 10
> computer just for Studio.
>
> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

Michael Potter