[ale] art/science of choosing cpu, motherboard, mem for a pc, some guidance

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 18:02:25 EDT 2017

Need to pick your brains on finding the best CPU/MB/MEM combo.  Please help.

Let me start off saying I am taking a cheap route.

Went to get Passmark of 5500 and above from
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

Cheapest reasonable cpu at Microcenter with these ratings.  Prices below
are at Microcenter.

Intel Core i3-7100 @ 3.90GHz 5895 $96
AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core     7509 $80
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core   8942 $100

If I pick the cheapest one at $80, I work from there to motherboard on
pcpartpicker.

Here I see many, but what criterion for motherboard, Star ratings ?
Dont know if video is built in?  I dont need video builtin since I have vid
card
4 mem slots is good.  Atleast 32G supported is a good thing to consider
right

I picked Gigabyte (
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/T69KHx/gigabyte-motherboard-ga78lmtusb3)
for $55, comments say not overclockable but CPU in microcenter is Black
Edition aka Overclockable, so need OC board right ? (cant find that info on
the summary page though for mother boards.)

>From here I worked towards DDR3 2400 memory.  This is Corsair 16G $120.

Is this pretty much it ?

My cost is coming to $260.

Is the approach I am taking correct ?