[ale] Is this a good deal

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 14:09:33 EDT 2017

> The engineering aspects of this depends on known performance of the
> software doing the video process. If it doesn't have to be real-time (i.e.
> watching the video as it's being transcoded), less speed and more cores and
> RAM are a better buy. If it is a live process you'll need to sacrifice
> virtual machine performance with fewer cores at higher cpu speed and
> moderate ram with really good storage IO. CPU controlled ram is faster than
> chipset controlled but it takes cpu cycles to manage ram. I'm not sure if
> ram refresh is a cpu process or embedded in the ram now. The later would be
> great.

My VM's are mainly for some windows work like, taxes and some
non-Linux-available or non-wine-compatible software.  So worst case I can
shut this down during non usage times.  I would like to connect 1TB (3
count) HDD drives that will have the videos that I have ripped out of my
DVD's and VCD's.

May be I can dedicate my AM2+ CPU with 4GB RAM to be able to do this for me
instead of the above beefy machine.

> The AMD ryzan performance error is being fixed with replacement.
> Apparently the fixed cpu does a kernel compile in under 30 seconds now. :-)

So am I better off to wait for a couple more months to get the fixed CPU in
the market ?