[ale] Of password managers and family...

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Oct 30 18:12:48 EDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-10-28 at 20:24 -0400, Joey Kelly wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 October 2017 13:29:45 Kyle Brieden wrote:
> > My only ... "hang up", I guess, with 1Password vs LastPass is that
> > LP is
> > $48/yr for 6 people whereas 1Pass is $72/yr for 6 people.  Not a
> > huge
> > increase, by my accountant sister questions justification for every
> > penny, and she's been gracious enough to split the cost with me. :P

> A: I won't pay for any service.

> B. I don't trust anyone's cloud.

This is one advantage that I like about KeePass*.  It also has a file
option.  So, you distribute a blob file (arbitrary file - could be an
image or random data) to each device and then, to unlock the key file,
you need BOTH the blob file and the password.  You never put the blob
file in the cloud.  Without the blob file, you can not unlock key file.

I use NextCloud, shelf hosted, on top of that.

> C. It wasn't that long ago that LastPass was h4x0r3d. Even OwnCloud
> (apples
> and oranges, and runs on your own box so it's "secure", got busted
> into). When
> in doubt, see B.

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (o) +1 706 850-8773 |  mhw at WittsEnd.com
   /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/          | (c) +1 678 463-0932 |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/