[ale] Of password managers and family...

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sun Oct 29 10:05:55 EDT 2017

I've been running NextCloud for about 6 months.
It is only accessible via VPN or ssh-socks proxy.
I'm not comfortable having a php webapp on the internet.

Seafile is a python-based alternative. The "Ask Noah" show tried many
different personal-cloud services and was able to break the synchro for
owncloud and nextcloud, but not for seafile.  Guess it depends on the
number of concurrent users to the different files.  I don't think the
seafile ecosystem is as large as nextcloud's.

NextCloud-news has become my primary RSS feed organizer. All clients see
the same feeds, already read articles, etc.  THAT alone is worth it to
me.  Been through a few upgrades. Most have been 4 click-painless.
Android clients for NC and NC-News work well.  The music player and
photo gallery are bonuses.

Anyone missing "read-it-later?"  Wallabag is a self-hosted version of
that. It makes a local copy and strips all the ads/cruft.  Many of those
multi-page articles are handled too. Some articles won't get pulled, but
at least the link to the original is maintained.  Android clients for
Wallabag are pretty good. They download/cache the articles, so if you
sit in waiting rooms without any data, you can still always have
articles to read on your tablet.  There's an export-to-epub tool as
well, if you have an e-reader.

Anyways, there are many self-hosted tools like these.  Pretty much
anything you would use facebook, twitter, google, apple and other
"cloudy" company services for is covered by professional, self-hosted,
projects now.  Most will run on a r-pi, so the barrier to entry is
extremely low.

On 10/29/2017 08:23 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I'm looking at nextcloud for personal/home storage services. They are
> adding some interesting encryption capabilities.
>
> On October 28, 2017 8:24:28 PM EDT, Joey Kelly <joey at joeykelly.net> wrote:
>
>     On Tuesday 24 October 2017 13:29:45 Kyle Brieden wrote:
>
>         My only ... "hang up", I guess, with 1Password vs LastPass is
>         that LP is
>         $48/yr for 6 people whereas 1Pass is $72/yr for 6 people. Not a huge
>         increase, by my accountant sister questions justification for every
>         penny, and she's been gracious enough to split the cost with me. :P
>

>     A: I won't pay for any service.
>
>     B. I don't trust anyone's cloud.
>
>     C. It wasn't that long ago that LastPass was h4x0r3d. Even OwnCloud (apples
>     and oranges, and runs on your own box so it's "secure", got busted into). When
>     in doubt, see B.
>

> --
> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related
> and reflect authenticity.

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.