[ale] What's my job title?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue May 9 15:40:27 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-09 12:28, Phil Turmel wrote:
> On 05/09/2017 11:03 AM, Alex Carver wrote:
>> On 2017-05-08 07:01, Lightner, Jeffrey wrote:
>>> I think if garbage collectors can be called Sanitation Engineers the idea that "engineer" requires a license is laughable at best.
>>
>> It matters when the engineer can have a direct and material effect on
>> the health and welfare of a person (e.g. civil, electrical, mechanical
>> ).  It also harms the reputation of engineers with the public due to
>> confusion or derision.  Diluting the term engineer does a disservice to
>> the public and to the engineers.
>
> You have a much higher opinion of Professional Engineers than I do.
> I've known numerous P.E.s in my 30-year career and very few P.E.s I've
> met stood out as particularly talented.  In fact, I've seen seen a
> couple talented engineers here in GA blackballed by existing P.E.s for
> political and/or economic reasons.  Piss off the wrong guy, no P.E. for you!
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the P.E. here in Georgia has as much
> credibility as a Hair Braiding License.
>
> Show me an engineering diploma from a reputable school and you're an
> engineer as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Fortunately, electrically engineering has very few jobs that have a
> legal requirement for a P.E., so I chose early on to avoid the swamp.
> And don't regret it a bit.

Most of the PEs I've met were all professors so I guess it's a bit
different than meeting any out and about.

However, in the part I wrote, I'm mainly talking about the use of the
word "engineer" in general.  PE is certainly a regulated use but just
using engineer should be regulated as well (and legal definitions do
exist as I've mentioned in another email).

I was once asked by an adult of age over 30 years what I did for a
living.  I replied "engineer".  The next question was "What kind of
train?" and it was asked in total seriousness.  I've also heard the
derisive "You mean like a sanitation engineer?" before, too, also from
an adult.