[ale] Programming Languages and Personality?

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Fri Jun 30 17:02:52 EDT 2017

"Perl, once my language of choice, now makes me physically nauseous."
+100.  I curse the day I started to learn Perl.

This book is a very interesting book.  Good for an airplane:
https://www.amazon.com/Psychology-Computer-Programming-Silver-
Anniversary/dp/0932633420

I think in C.

I am learning R and golang right now.

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Leam Hall <leamhall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Skipping over the long term coders who can do anything with assembler, I'm
> trying to root out some personality thoughts on programming languages. I'll
> have some alone time and would like to make some coding progress; things
> have slowed while I learn Ansible.
>
> What has my interest is the mental perception I have of different
> languages. Ruby, and to a slightly lesser extent PHP, are just fun. Go, and
> C, are more academic and I find them powerful and dreary. Python is
> somewhere in the middle and Perl, once my language of choice, now makes me
> physically nauseous.
>
> Does anyone else have this perception, even if the reaction to the same
> languages is different? More to the point, what can be done to alter the
> personal reception of a language? Ruby makes me want to code, C makes me
> want to sleep. Python makes me read e-mail to recover.
>
> Leam

Michael Potter
  Tapp Solutions, LLC
   www.tappsolutions.com