[ale] Bridge eth0 to br0 to prep for OpenVPN

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Jan 28 10:43:23 EST 2017

I want to being experimenting with OpenVPN bridged taps. OpenVPN can automate the process of bridging tap0 and eth0 into br0. I'm on Jessie and something in my head makes me think it would be better if I went ahead and simply create the bridge manually at boot and only bond with eth0.

eth0 is on the private net

Change:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.254
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto br0
iface eth0 inet manual
iface br0 inet static
address 192.168.1.254
netmask 255.255.255.0

My logic is that in the process of OpenVPN creating the bridge and bonding eth0 there
will be some disruption to traffic going across eth0. If I create the br0 at boot thne OpenVPN just needs
to bond tap0 to it?

Can I also create tap0 at boot and bond it to the bridge ahead of OpenVPN?

I'm playing around with some of my own ideas around SDN. I have a Pi3 and my goal is to make it's eth0 "Port 9" off my 8 port gigabit switch.
I'm going to use OpenVPN as the transport back to router. I'll bridge the tap to eth0. Once I get this uip and running I'm going to focus on the UX pieces and and config transport. I know about OpenFlow, but I want to try out my ideas.

Chris