[ale] small XMPP server.

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Jan 4 10:28:21 EST 2017

On Tue, Jan 03, 2017 at 06:51:51PM -0500, Boris Borisov wrote:
> I'm tired of trying to use facebook or gmail for messaging my friends.

In all seriousness, you probably won't have too many friends that are
willing to log into yet another account to just message you.

> Since these companies removed support for XMPP you have to use different
> messengers or the one provided by the company. I'm going to try to set
> small XMPP server for myself and my friends and let them use it.

I've been using jabberd for many years, almost since Google originally
federated GTalk.  My instance authenticates against PAM.  (I didn't
force use of s2s TLS so I can still communicate with GTalk folks.  No
sense in completely isolating myself from the world..)

If I were starting over today, I'd use Prosody as it has a better
feature set and more active development.

Oh, I highly recommend that you don't allow random folks to create
accounts on your instance.  Lots of bots out there attempting to
mass-create accounts for spam purposes.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^