[ale] Developer learning track question

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 08:58:41 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2017 8:14 AM, "DJ-Pfulio" <djpfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
>
> On 02/14/2017 07:51 AM, leam hall wrote:
> > My glue language is Ruby but parts of the tool would likely be in
> MongoDB,
> > Neo4J, PHP, and maybe even Go. Already using Ruby and SQLite, adding
> RubyTk.
>
> My first question would be if you need that many different languages,
> perhaps
> you don't have the correct hammer/screwdriver picked?  A few of the things
> listed above are extremely similar and effort to reduce those dependencies
> would
> be useful.
>

> +1
>

> Use a project to expand ones skill set in a language. It doesn't matter
> what it's written in, 2 years later when you're more proficient that code
> will look like crap. If it doesn't, there's a different problem.
>
> Every language has a library or modules or add-ins or what ever. It's
> knowing all (ALL!) of those and how to use them, and which ones not to use,
> that makes the project code much, much better.

PHP vs Ruby TK is a prime example. I need something that will let me edit
individual objects outside of the CLI. However, Ruby TK doesn't let anyone
edit via the web, and PHP requires a web browser.  I'm not using PHP right
now but another person is.

MongoDB is nice for NoSQL persistant storage, but isn't often available on
shared hosts due to the db file size. I've been using JSON as a half step
towards MongoDB, but need to ensure the data can be read by PHP as well as
someone else is doing some web stuff with it.

For the record I am working on 2+ year old code and it is a mess. My mess
though, so I'm cleaning it up.

> For the other question - just in time learning will keep the project
> moving and
> not get you side-tracked.  We all get side-tracked.  I can look about the
> house
> and see 10 started, but not finished "projects."  For things I deem really
> important, I don't get side-tracked until they are finished.
>

> A big +1! Just in time is all that's required. Keep a side list of what
> was being worked on when the "Ah, Ha!" moment happened. Makes it easier to
> uh oh.

I have Monday off, and some extra free time coming up. That's part of the
scheduling; do I spend a chunk of time on  standing up a Neo4J node to get
the visualization I want, or a MongoDO node to move to persistent storage.
Either one means I'll need to add code to store and transfer the current
objects.

--
Mind on a Mission <http://leamhall.blogspot.com/>