[ale] [OT] grounding in space

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Aug 29 12:06:33 EDT 2017

The Voyagers were indeed built with a lot of discrete components but
they also do have integrated circuits.  Data storage was to magnetic
tape which is then rewound for playback at a later time.  This was very
important during the various planetary encounters since there was
significant maneuvering to do and collecting science data while
performing a flyby was very important especially with the data coming in
faster than the downlink could accommodate.

The thing to keep in mind is that the Voyagers were built in what could
be considered record time for a spacecraft fabrication process.  Most
deep space spacecraft (or rovers, too) have a design life cycle of about
10 years starting from project approval.  The Voyagers were designed and
built in five after approval (1972 to 1977).  They are also highly
redundant.  Nearly everything of the primary system components
(computer, storage, transmitters) is duplicated.  Some items are not
like the cameras, spectrometers and magnetometer but those are then
built to more stringent requirements.

The Pioneer spacecraft explained a lot to engineers about what they
would see during the new mission.  The Pioneers were damaged heavily by
Jupiter's massive radiation environment.  No one knew how much radiation
was around Jupiter (a human would die of radiation exposure in about one
minute standing on the surface of Jupiter's moon Europa).  So the
Voyagers were redesigned with massive shielding to protect from as much
of this radiation as possible (this is one of the rare exceptions to the
"more is not always better" shielding issue I mentioned previously --
Jupiter is just intensely hostile).  All missions to Jupiter afterwards
benefited  from Pioneer's data. Now they all fly there with vaults made
of aluminum and tantalum for the electronics (Galileo, Juno, and the
upcoming Europa Clipper).  Shielding is also important for deep space
spacecraft since they're almost always powered by radioisotope thermal
generators (RTG) and these do cause some elevated background radiation.
Juno and Europa Clipper are exceptions, they are both be solar powered
despite the distance.

As for the exposure cross section, larger isn't always better.
Depending on the specific technology (bipolar transistors versus MOSFET
for example) a large cross section can be your enemy.  Bipolar
transistors do have a large bulk of material to work with but the
junctions are bigger and that's where the damage typically takes place.
In the MOSFET, it's the gate oxide that suffers the most damage so a
large area gate can have more issues.  In both cases large areas mean
that damage is most likely to happen somewhere (probability of being
struck by a radiation particle) and that leads to early onset of
radiation effects.  On the other hand, a small cross section means that
the total survivable dose is reduced.  The probability that it can go
for a period of time without being struck increases but the magnitude of
the effect once it is struck is greater.  You have to strike a balance
between them and build the structures in such a way that they tolerate
radiation effects gracefully.  A lot of work goes into radiation
hardening which is why spacecraft technology is always so far behind
terrestrial technology.  Experiments are continuing though, with many
more advanced COTS parts being evaluated for use.  A baby step example
is the use of modern 20 megapixel color CMOS imagers on the new Mars
2020 rover for some of the cameras.  These are not mission critical
cameras, they will be evaluated for future use while the mission
critical cameras are older, well tested technologies.  It's part of a
process called Technology Readiness Level (TRL) advancement.  The TRL
scale is 1-9 with 1 being a concept and 9 being flight proven/heritage.
The newer cameras will be around TRL 6/7 when they launch and if all
goes well they will become TRL 8/9 in the future.

By the way, the record and record player stylus on each Voyager is
purely mechanical unlike the rest of the spacecraft.  All instructions
for assembly and operation are included and the two pieces are built to
survive at least one billion years.  The gold covers over the records
have pure uranium 238 inside them to serve as a chronometer so that a
distant civilization that finds them can determine the age of the
spacecraft.  The RTG won't have any power left to operate the spacecraft
after about 2036.  The Pioneers had plaques denoting their origins but
the Voyagers are the only ones that have records with sounds and images
stored on them.