[ale] Appropriate hypervisor?

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Wed Aug 2 22:20:20 EDT 2017

Maybe not a pipedream conceptually, but you are asking for diametrically
opposed operations:

1) Direct hardware control from a VM (video RAM and all BARs pass
through), and
2) Hypervisor-controlled swapping of the same hardware among multiple
VMs (not implemented in any hypervisor that I'm aware of).  I'm not
convinced you could even do this without generating hardware plug/unplug
events in the guest OSes.

Anyways, either the hypervisor is controlling that hardware or it's not.
 Just thinking about securely managing the card's on-board video RAM in
a swapping situation makes my head hurt.