[ale] Help with kernel complilation

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Mon Apr 24 16:15:34 EDT 2017

On 04/22/2017 07:46 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:

> Question: Where in the kernel compiling process I set root device? Is
> that even possible.

Kernel command line root=/dev/sdwhatever

Usually set in the bootloader.  More command line options can be built
into a custom kernel using the "Processor type and features" menu.

I have to use this all the time to build my monolithic kernel+initramfs
combos for EFI booting.

> I've read that modern kernel rely on initrd image to detect and mount root.

Modern *distros* rely on initrd/initramfs because they don't build-in
many drivers.  Kernel with built-in driver for root device and root
filesystem will happily process the root= option if there's no
initrd/initramfs.

Phil