[ale] Is there a limit on password length or characters for OUTBOUND sftp when receding a "password" prompt?

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Fri Apr 21 09:15:19 EDT 2017

I’m suggesting there may be 2 separate limits involved in YOUR test, one of which isn’t applicable to the question I’m asking.

RHEL6 may in fact not allow STORING/USING a password that long locally (e.g. in /etc/shadow) or possibly due to pam or login.defs as suggested by someone else.

However in my case I am not STORING the long password locally.   I’m SENDING the password to a remote system where I know it works because my local RHEL7 logs in to the remote successfully via sftp.  So the issue is NOT with the remote STORING or ACCEPTING the password but specifically with RHEL6/RHEL5 trying to SEND the password to that remote.   The local does not STORE the password for this connection which is why I am asking the question.

Again however, I do not know if that is due to length or the existence of “-“ characters.

So I repeat yet again the issue is with SENDING the password from local to remote NOT with storing the password on local as it is not stored there at all.    The issue is only when SENDING the password at password prompt after having initiated sftp command from local to remote and again only on RHEL5/RHEL6.