[ale] Somewhat OT: Dropbox on Android 4.0.3

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Mon Apr 17 14:44:44 EDT 2017

Not much point in rooting anyway.
The latest roms I see for the rezound are 4.4.4.
I've never been a fan of verizon. They use cdma, which makes the choice of third party phones very limited, and they lock their boot loaders down to the point where it's too much of a pain for most modders to mess with them,
I use NextCloud, but I have no idea if it will work on a version of android that old.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Neal Rhodes <neal at mnopltd.com> 4/17/2017 2:23 PM >>>
Theoretically Android is somewhat linux.

So, after factory reset of a Verizon HTC Rezound, it actually works
again, and it is at the most current Android HTC offers - 4.0.3.

And Dropbox offers no version for 4.0.3.

APKMirror has Dropbox version 3.0.4.44, which indicates it can work with
Android 4.0.3.   When installed, it comes up, and immediately insists I
update Dropbox, and offers no options but to go the Play Store, which of
course doesn't have any compatible version.

Ergo, I'm in an infinite loop.

Dropbox support (meh) and forum basically are of no help.   For some
reason Dropbox has decided older phones are simply not worthy.

Is it possible to force an APK of a later version of Dropbox to be
installed?   Or will it refuse to install?    It's hard to believe that
a later version truly won't work.  It seems more likely they didn't feel
like back-testing it.

I kinda have too much going on in my life in the near future to be
rooting my primary phone and installing a non-HTC android.

Are there other options?   (other than scrapping Dropbox and going to
Google Drive that is.)

Neal