[ale] [ot] what's good on TV - cord cutting

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Wed Apr 12 10:10:27 EDT 2017

Now, when people say cord cutting, in my mind, I also hear "technology
cutting" too.    On the occasions when I do have time to watch
something, my immense preference is for something that "just works".

Being able to come home, open a bottle of wine, start fixing dinner and
just say "Alexa, play some music by Bix Biderbeck" and ... it just
works... is infinitely better than dorking about with yet another
recalcitrant computer for 15 minutes to get music.    (also being able
to holler "Alexa, add mustard to my shopping list" while my head is
stuffed in the fridge, and having that show up on my shopping list on my
phone whilst at Krogers is almost magic. )

In a similar vein, while impressed at reading the length to which people
will go to record digital broadcast tv, we have found that a Roku box,
the Amazon Prime video we already have for free with Amazon Prime
shipping, and the Acorn subscription for BBC stuff is more than we would
ever be inclined to watch.   And aside from the $5/mo for Acorn, there
is no ongoing cost, and it truly "just works".