[ale] cord cutting for TV, SiliconDust, MythTV, recording to PC, etc.,

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 16:28:54 EDT 2017

Rather serendipitously, I am looking again at getting off my ass and making
a DVR solution that is not at the mercy of custom hardware.
My 3rd ReplayTV appears to be dying (power supply or motherboard - I've
already done a disk replacement), and I'm tired of the dance to get those
boxes working.

I'm not looking to cut the cord so much as break free from the tyranny of
the schedule.

Has anyone seen a good reference for getting an RPi to record OTA or from a
cable box?

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 4:06 PM, William Bagwell <rb211 at tds.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 09 April 2017, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> > Antennas are like real estate - location, location, location. If you are
> > in a valley without line of sight to the transmission towers,
> > forgetaboutit. Keep paying dish/cable guys and move on with your life ...
> > or put up a high pole with an antenna facing the correct direction.
> TVfool
> > can let you try out different ground heights to see how much it matters.
> >  10 ft higher DOES MATTER.
>
> Thanks for the link! Sadly I am in a valley and even with an ~37' out side
> antenna all Atlanta stations are shown as "Edge" at TVfool. Actually get
> most of them well enough except channel two which fades out at times.
> Played
> with virtually running my antenna up to 60' with none improving to line of
> site.
>
> BTW channel 14 may be based in Rome but they broadcast from near Waleska.
> Still probably the most distant station for many, but my closest and only
> line of site station.
> --
> William

Pete Hardie