[ale] Does anyone have any experience actually running Docker?

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Thu Apr 6 09:52:44 EDT 2017

So I keep hearing just how awesome and wonderful and life-changing
Docker is, but no one online seems to want to actually tell me how to
USE it.  All the documentation I've found thus far either:

A) Makes assumptions about your environment, then fails to describe how
to translate concepts to other environments
B) Assumes you're already well versed in the basics, so starts at 80MPH
C) Was written in 2014 or earlier

I understand the concept, and I appreciate *why* containers are
fundamentally different than VMs, I just want to be able to actually
"Dockerize" an application.

I just want a MySQL container, a uWSGI/Django container, and an Nginx
container, but how do I go about getting those?  How do I get my code
into that container?  Is anyone a docker expert or does anyone have a "0
to 45MPH docker crash course?"  I'm not looking for full out
enterprise-ready production, here.  Just want to learn enough to get my
app off the ground on my own docker host, then understand enough to push
it up into something like AWS ECS or something.

Thanks!

---
Very respectfully,
Kyle Brieden