[ale] How do you force a fixed resolution on Ubuntu 16.04

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Sep 24 13:03:04 EDT 2016

For the autodeleting Xorg.conf file, check the system init scripts and
the Xorg startup script.  I recall seeing a couple versions that did
flush it at every start and then attempting autodetects.

For Windows, download Device Console (devcon.exe):
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544707(v=vs.85).aspx

Then run in a batch file:
devcon.exe disable =display
devcon.exe enable =display

That will initiate the detection process.  I do it on my Windows machine
which, at boot, forgets it has two monitors.  Once the actual video
driver loads it's able to find the second monitor if I disable and
enable it.  I set the batch file to run using the Task Scheduler with
about a five minute delay after Windows starts (gives time for all of
the initial autodetection routines to finish).

DevCon can be much more specific in specifying the device.  I had this
in before:
devcon disable PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_84CA1043&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10
devcon enable PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0162&SUBSYS_84CA1043&REV_09\3&11583659&0&10

And that would hit just the video card but specifying a subsystem
(=display) turned out to be easier.