[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Sep 14 22:12:05 EDT 2016

On 09/14/2016 10:38 AM, James Sumners wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 10:27 AM, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
> <mailto:DJPfulio at jdpfu.com>> wrote:
>
>     I use x2go for that - it provides my complete desktop, not just
>     terminals. Actually don't need it very often, checking the progress via
>     log files (created by tee) handles it mostly.
>

> Some of us don't install X on our servers unless we are forced to by
> shitty "enterprise" software :)

x2go software is on 1 VM inside the DC. Local connections from there or
I'll tail -f log for a few seconds to check on tasks.  That "desktop" is
my main desktop. Remote connections to other DCs aren't for long
periods. DevOps for management or I get in, do the task and get out.

I don't play a DBA anymore and the environments aren't all that dynamic,
usually.  Before any deployment, I'll test major changes in a lab.

Different use cases from what others have described here.  Did a little
reading about some tmux stuff that sounded interesting, but nobody
mentioned here.  It can act like cssh.  Haven't used that since
switching over the devops methods, but I suppose if you have lots of
almost snowflake systems, it would be useful.