[ale] Tmux, where have you been alll my life?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Wed Sep 14 08:08:11 EDT 2016

Just looked at that tmux cheat sheet.  Seems like a bunch of complexity and keys
just to do something a push of a mouse will handled when using multiple xterms
with focus-follows-mouse setup in the WM.

I've got to be missing something. For years people I respect have been crazy for
screen or tmux, but I just don't see the point.
* My connections are solid, disconnects just don't happen.
* I know how to use 'tee' so monitoring running jobs from anywhere isn't hard.
* My desktop can be accessed from anywhere in the world, so anything running
there will be seen as it progresses (GUI stuff).
* I know how to use batch processing (TaskSpooler) and 'at' for long running
tasks that need to be queued.
* screen layouts are handled by normal X/Windows resources and WM settings.
Hadar xterms open upper left. Romulus xterms open lower right. ... have settings
for those things for decades.

I've got to be missing something that tmux does. Right? Please convert me.

I learn best by seeing - is there a great youtube video showing off tmux that I
should watch?