[ale] printing

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Sep 13 17:02:29 EDT 2016

There are some models of HP printer where the Postscript implementation
is defective up until a certain firmware revision so if you're at all
Postscript-dependent, you need to watch out for that. I ran into this at
An Unnamed Previous Employer that used hundreds of different printers as
output from a given web app - I tried to greatly simplify administration
by going PS-everyplace but certain of the printers would choke. This set
me to writing a script that polled printers for firmware version and
initiated an update via FTP if needed.

As an aside, many years ago I deployed a COBOL app on VMS that used a
particular model of QMS laser printer. The developers had to bypass the
VMS print queuing system in favor of its own because the app needed to
switch the printer between PS for some forms and native mode for others,
but these printers would go dead to the world for a while when a switch
was made so the queuing system had to have a built-in delay. Fun, fun.