[ale] hdparm and RAID cards

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 16:12:44 EDT 2016

How the $(^*#!!! do I use hdparm to enable write caching on a giant
pile of drives that make up a hardware RAID 6 array?

I can peek through the controller with smartctl for health monitoring.
The RAID controller (MegaRAID) has a tool to see that each drive has a
N/A status for hardware cache (these drives all have a large multi-MB
cache).

I _really_ don't want to have to convert all 28 drives to RAID0 so I
can get a /dev/sdx node for hdparm.
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.