[ale] Complex QoS rules on network reorg.

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 24 06:38:40 EDT 2016

>     On 05/22/16 19:01, dev null zero two wrote:
>     > pfsense yo
>
>     +1. There is also OpenSense for consideration. Not sure about the diff.
>

> This is kicking my a$$.  I have it up an running.  I like the web interface.  I
> like the shell interface.  My device only has one NIC.  Most of my USB
> 10/100/1000 are too new.  RTL8152's I have are not supported.

Never tried to make a router work with 1 interface.  That isn't how pfSense is
designed to work. It never occurred to me to try to use a USB-to-ethernet device
on a router. Plus ...

Learned long ago to avoid Realtek. Intel PRO/1000 is THE standard. I don't want
to screw around with any other stuff.  5 hrs of screwing around, and not just
this time, but every time an OS upgrade happens, just isn't worth the $20 extra
having PRO/1000 NICs solves.

Same applies to servers and desktops. Drop in a PRO/1000 NIC and be happier. Of
course, the build-in NICs are usually RT or Marvell. I'm lucky. The versions of
these all seem to be working here, but if there is room in the case and it
doesn't come with Intel onboard NICs, I drop in a PRO/1000 and use that for the
primary interface.  Had to fight with a 10/100 NIC long ago and just don't want
to deal with that again .... rebuilding the kernel driver with every kernel update.

This same idea applies to most of my other hardware too - if it isn't well
supported in the default kernels, I don't want it.  Been burned many times -
even with "Linux Supported!" on the box. Turned out their idea of "support" was
a 5 yr old kernel with a binary blob (it was a RAID card from Promise).  OTOH,
my printers aren't supported by Windows anymore, so Linux support has been
critical. Fortunately, they worked with Linux the day I bought them. Guess I'm
just lazy.

> I have one device that has dual NICs and PCI.  I also have a 4 port RouterBoard.
>  I'm trying to do this with a box about 2x the size of a Pi.

I've seen the routerBoard stuff in-the-wild once. Did some research and found
they were GPL violators and slow to comply.  Went looking for their current GPL
code and they wanted a letter with US$35 to provide it.  That meets the
requirements, but is hardly friendly.  At least that was my recollection. Could
be confusing them with a different company that makes a similar, Linux-based,
small-biz router.

> I've got some Davicon 9601, but it is slow.  Amazing we can get Internet now
> that is faster than USB 1.1.

Comcast wants $250/month to get me 250Mbps (2.5x my monthly budget for this).
Can't get anything faster. Called last month to get their GigE service for
$70/month. Nope.  We were one of the first neighborhoods to get 50Mbps and I
think they have fibre to the curb here.  Budget only allows 16/3 service with
the extras I currently require.