[ale] Complex QoS rules on network reorg.

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sun May 22 18:59:32 EDT 2016

I just finished a very similar migration at my house (with the 50/10
business internet as well). For wifi, I purchased a Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC
Lite. For the router, I went to Micro Center and bought a $99
refurbished ThinkCenter with a Core2Duo, 3GB of RAM and a 100GB HDD. I
then went on Amazon and picked up a 4 port Gbit PCI-E Intel NIC for $50.
It's probably overkill but it runs PFSense like a champ.

I've been super happy with this setup so far. I haven't had a need to
mess with it yet but PFSense does have some traffic shaping/QoS features
built in that you could use to control Bandwidth per VLAN. The Ubiquiti
AP also has the ability to turn on and off SSIDs on a schedule which, my
father would have loved to have had for me growing up.

My only gripe is that you have to register the UniFi AP with a single
computer to use the control panel and you can't just pull up a web
management portal or some kind from any laptop.