[ale] checking for process in uninterruptable sleep state

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed May 18 20:17:54 EDT 2016

Just a followup to let you know that the fix Phil suggests below appears
to have worked. I added "usbcore.autosuspend=-1" to the default kernel
parms in grub and we haven't had a machine hang because of an
uninterruptable system call for a week.

On 05/10/2016 02:29 PM, Todor Fassl wrote:
> [Sorry to top post but I am blind and it is very difficult for me to
> post in-line.]
>
> These workstations are in a lab and students  are plugging usb devices
> into them all the time. I was checking the logs on one machine last
> week and I saw that somebody had plugged a web cam in. I am guessing
> it was for skype and/or linphone. I will never be able to pin it down
> to a specific usb device.
>
> But every time a machine is hung, it is always that same file,
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/descriptors, that causes it to go into an
> uninterruptable sleep. So I think the defective usb device is the usb
> controller itself.
>
> Well, I set the kernel parameter to disable usb autosuspend. I'll post
> back if it works. I did manage to write a script to notifiy me when
> the problem occurs so if the script doesn't trigger in a couple of
> days, I'm going to say it's fixed.
>

> On 05/10/2016 10:16 AM, Phil Turmel wrote:
>> On 05/10/2016 10:39 AM, Todor Fassl wrote:
>>> Details: I have 15 Dell workstations running ubuntu 15.10 (2 are
>>> running
>>> 16.04 -- that did not help). Occasionally, the keyboard and mouse