[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Mar 31 15:06:07 EDT 2016

Schedule data is only really available from DirecTV and they do mess it
up fairly often.  Sometimes shows start a few minutes early or late,
other times it's the wrong title so you have no idea what happened until
the opening credits roll.  It also doesn't matter what network, the
network schedule and DirecTV's schedule very frequently do not match at
all (because DirecTV repeats shows on some networks for east coast and
west coast).  So I'd have to rely on DirecTV's scheduling, couldn't use
anything else.

Some shows are not available by streaming so using something like Kodi
doesn't matter in that case, it's just not going to be available unless
I record it. I should say I'm specifically talking about cable/satellite
networks. I haven't watched much broadcast network TV in the last
several years so it doesn't matter if CBS/NBC/ABC stream their shows, I
haven't been watching them at all unless it's a major news event.

Since some of the programs are not available elsewhere, this really
isn't a low return project.  Part of the cost savings comes from not
renting a DVR from DirecTV (about $40/month).  My receiver is free (not
the programming but the box itself) but a DVR box is not free.  I also
can't access the recordings elsewhere for my own purposes (screen grabs,
clip saving, medium shifting) so having one that I control is much
better.  Additionally, I don't have to think about other things going on
if there's a conflict.  I can set it to record and watch later.  It's a
convenience that I can actually apply a value.  But not enough value
that I want to pay $40/month indefinitely.