[ale] MythTV/similar hardware recommendations

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Tue Mar 29 21:03:53 EDT 2016

Some circumstances have suggested that I need to build a DVR (instead of
renting one) but I need suggestions on hardware since it's a bit more
resource intensive than most machine applications.

I'm not planning on pausing live TV with this thing, just a time shifter
device where that time could be hours or the next day or two.

At first the recorder will likely be the player, too, although I may
want to put a client somewhere else in the future.  I've only heard that
an RPi can do a playback reasonably well but suggestions are welcome here.

Long term storage is not planned, shows would be deleted after watching
although being able to suck a file out of the machine if there's a
really interesting clip would be good, I can process it elsewhere.

Silence and physical size is probably important for now because this
first system will have to live behind the TV where the satellite box
also lives.  I can't really move the satellite box into a closet, no
suitable access to the cable from the dish.  So this probably implies a
SSD and a fanless box.

Thoughts and/or suggestions?