[ale] Best resources for learning Linux

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Mar 29 02:32:23 EDT 2016

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 17:47:13 -0400
Jim Kinney <jkinney at jimkinney.us> wrote:

> I can't encourage people enough to find a spare machine you can afford
> to break daily by testing out new things. A basic, cheap machine that
> supports a dual or even quad core with virtualization is a few hundred
> dollars. For testing containers, you don't need much drive space and a
> 1TB home user drive is really low cost.

Thank you Jim, that had to be said!

I learned Linux by trying and failing to install Red Hat 5.0 twenty
times. Each time I saw a little bit more about how config files
influenced the finished product.

With today's Qemu VMs, which install and run *very* fast if your
processor has hardware assisted virtual machines, installing Ubuntu is
about 15 minutes, and installing Gentoo is maybe 4 hours. Whole
different world, huge opportunity to learn.

I also have handmedown hardware to test stuff that I can't or don't
know how to test on VMs.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2016 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz