[ale] Lab Workstation Mystery

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:03:34 EDT 2016

The partitions are not full. That was the first thing I checked.  I
thought maybee someone was filling up /tmp. But I sshed to a machine
while the root fs was mounted read-only and it wasn't full. I even set
up nagios to watch the percent full via snmp and it never showed a problem.

The root filesystem, /tmp,  and /var are on seperate partitions. But the
reason the logs just cut off may be that when it remounts / read-only,
it also remounts /var read-only. There is nothing unusual in the logs
and then they just stop.

On the other hand, while my memory is a little fuzzy but I am pretty
sure that I was able to mount an nfs share from a different server when
a machine was in the in-between state. Somebody might have been logged
into it at the time. I'm doing all this remotely because the machines
are several floors away.  But if it was unable to write log records, I
shouldn't have been able to do an nfs mount at all. Next time I catch a
machine in the in-between state, I'll check if /tmp and /var are munted
read-only.

Todd