[ale] KDE, Gnome, XFCE OT?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Mon Mar 28 11:20:49 EDT 2016

On a large deployment, the cost of those VMware licenses is a drop in the bucket, and once you cover the initial cost, the 3-year renewal is not that bad.

For example, we currently have 6 Dell R930s, with 4 E7 CPUs each, and 4TB of memory each.  There is an additional 12 R815s that will be replaced with fewer R930s of similar specs soon.   We have over 1000 VMs, spread across multiple datacenters in two states. Compared with our hardware costs, the VMware license cost is not that great.
We bought our VMware licenses back in the days when you couldn't get anywhere near the density we have with current hardware, so we have just been paying maintenance on them, and moving them forward to new hardware.  We pay a lot more to SUSE, Oracle, and Microsoft than we do to VMware.
Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer