[ale] KDE, Gnome, XFCE OT?

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Mar 27 19:46:15 EDT 2016

On Sunday, March 27, 2016 01:19:52 PM DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 03/27/2016 12:40 PM, damon at damtek.com wrote:
> > Anybody have any tips for a 4.4 kernel and ATI cards?
>
> Wait 6 months for AMD support to come.
> Or
> Use the F/LOSS drivers.

Or not.  Not.  I now have ATI's Crimson 15.302 installed on Fedora 23 with a
4.4.6.300 kernel.  Woot.

long story short:  https://github.com/imageguy/fglrx-for-Fedora

that provides the basic how to and the diff file you need to patch with.

However, as this requires you to downgrade your X11 drivers to Fedora 22
levels, I could not get that to work.  Well, I could, ONCE.  But never again.
The first time was with Gnome, but it would not work, then I remembered that
dgm did not like ATI.  So yanked out gdm, installed lightdm and XFCE.

That worked, but with the new drivers but not well.

I tried every spin of Fedora.  Nada, I could not get it to downgrade to Fedora
22 Xorg levels.  I tried Gnome once more, but it now would not downgrade.  No
idea why not.  The OS just reported it was at the lowest level already.

Final step, install Fedora 22, XFCE for KDE.  I went for XFCE.  Used it for
years.  excluded the Xorg bits as directed, then upgraded, then upgraded to
Fedora 23.

This worked like a charm.  Two small bits left:  I am missing something are
another for steam (But non Steam games work very well), and I can not install
KDE, due to holding back X11.

Good enough.  I can get work done AND play games, in Linux.

Truth be told, i could have done that already in Mint 17.3 WITH ATI drivers,
but I wanted more immersion in RHLE-ish-ness.  Since I work with it day in and
day out, but have little experience with RHEL 7 and (brace for it!) Systemd.

Shared so that it may help some other fool who upgraded and went with what was
what 4 years ago WITHOUT checking where support was today and spent $300 on a
video card that works well, but only with Windows.

HTH

Damon
damon at damtek.com