[ale] compiling kernel with version modifier

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:12:30 EST 2016

I need to compile my own kernel with a patch for hardware speech. One
thing I do not understand about building a kernel is how to get it to
have a unique name so I can tell if a machine is using the custom kernel
or the original one. The ubuntu documentation says this:

 > In order to make your kernel "newer" than the stock Ubuntu kernel
 > from which you are based you should add a local version modifier. Add
 > something like "+test1" to the end of the first version number in the
 > debian.master/changelog file, before building.
The first line of debian.master/changelog looks like this:
 > linux (4.2.0-30.36) wily; urgency=high

I am guessing the instructions mean to make that say something like this:
 > linux (4.2.0-30.36+test1) wily; urgency=high

First of all, is that right? Second, is it possible for me to make it so
if you say "uname -r", instead of displaying 4.3.0-30-generic, it shows
4.3.0-30-speakup? I think that would be the most clear way to show that
this is not a generic ubuntu kernel.