[ale] Sensor nuts

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Wed Jun 8 16:15:23 EDT 2016

The somewhat less expensive solution if you're willing to rent is a
particulate filter and analysis package.  You are sent a small vacuum
pump with a filter on the end of the hose.  It draws in air which
becomes trapped on the filter.  Then you ship the filter away and later
you get a report on the particulates.  It's not instant but it's accurate.

As for fans, what you're looking for is a known volume of air to go
through the sensor.  All of the various standards specify number of
particles per unit volume of air.  The sensor has to be built to deal
with moving air for it to work.  Most laser sensors do use a forced air
system and the laser spot is small enough to capture various particles.

Unfortunately for the Sharp sensor, forced air would probably cause more
issues than it solves.  it still can't resolve small particles and
forcing air through that particular sensor might actually push the
detection limit higher (meaning it starts to miss 1, 2, 5 micron
particles entirely).  Since it's using diffuse light illumination a high
speed particle will be missed.  You're still better off with the first
link I sent, it's just a $50 sensor but it will give you more data.