[ale] Party like it is 1995

maddog@li.org jonhall80 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 7 08:13:48 EDT 2016

>I  thought CDE was dead in 2012 it was release under GPL,

That is the beauty of Free Software....it hardly ever really dies.

Many, many, MANY years ago I used an email package called the Rand Mail Handler (MH).   It was a command line mail reader that used commands to read your email.  It worked great.

Then graphics came out and MH seemed a little hokey, and I received a lot of flack from people for using it.

Then someone wrapped a set of graphics around it (like a lot of Unix programs did back in the day), and it became "xmh".  I used that for a while.

Then people started sending attachments in email and MH (therefore xmh) did not cut it any more, but someone resurrected MH and added MIME extensions to form exmh.  That lasted me quite a while, until Motif raised its head, and poor exmh looked a little pale next to all those fancy buttons, but someone finally "Motifed" it and it became mexmh (or something like that), and I used that for years.

Each time it looked as if "mh" had been abandoned, and each time someone came back, grabbed the sources and moved it forward.

Another example of this:  The last, full implementation of the language ADA is a Free Software project (GNAT):

http://libre.adacore.com/tools/gnat-gpl-edition/

which even has Raspberry Pi support.

There is (I am told) a free version of Multics floating around:

https://stuff.mit.edu/afs/athena/reference/multics-history/

And last but not least, just to show that Free Software may never die, look at emacs!

So you see "The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain.

Warmest regards,

maddog