[ale] weirdness

kilpatms at comcast.net kilpatms at comcast.net
Sun Jun 5 13:27:28 EDT 2016

Basic problem:  Evolution has lost its mail folder database and can not display a new email nor can it send one out. (I do NOT like gnome and would IMMEDIATELY move the entire desktop to KDE but CentOs makes that almost impossible.)

Anyway, in trying to unscramble the mess I discovered this oddity:
As root when I do an <ls -al> on ~/.local/share, I get this:

drwxr-xr-x. 6 root root   57 Jan 11  2015 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root   18 Aug 26  2014 ..
drwxr-xr-x. 5 root root 4096 Oct 18  2015 akonadi
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root   54 Aug 26  2014 icc
drwx------. 3 root root   20 Jan 11  2015 nautilus
drwx------. 4 root root   29 Aug 26  2014 Trash

But when I run the same command as user, I get this:

[kilpatms at localhost share]$ ls -al
total 52
 23 kilpatms  1000 4096 Jun  5 08:07 .
  3 kilpatms  1000   18 Aug 17  2014 ..
  5 kilpatms  1000 4096 Jun  5 07:51 akonadi
  4 kilpatms  1000   35 Aug 17  2014 akonadi_maildir_resource_0
  2 kilpatms  1000 4096 Apr 26 08:30 applications
  2 kilpatms  1000   31 Aug 17  2014 contacts
  7 kilpatms  1000 4096 Jun  5 08:14 evolution
  2 kilpatms  1000   30 Aug 17  2014 folks
  3 kilpatms users   21 Sep 13  2014 gegl-0.2
  2 kilpatms  1000   79 Aug 18  2014 grilo-plugins
  2 kilpatms  1000   76 Jun  5 07:56 gvfs-metadata
  2 kilpatms  1000 4096 Jan 14 14:38 icc
  2 kilpatms  1000   46 Jun  5 07:56 keyrings
  5 kilpatms  1000   36 Aug 17  2014 local-mail
  5 kilpatms  1000 4096 Nov 12  2015 mime
  3 kilpatms users   20 Apr 15  2015 nautilus
  5 kilpatms  1000   36 Aug 17  2014 notes
  1 kilpatms users 9061 Jun  5 08:07 recently-used.xbel
  1 kilpatms users 9475 Jan 28 21:52 recently-used.xbel.G221BY
  3 kilpatms  1000   28 Aug 17  2014 telepathy
  2 kilpatms  1000    6 Aug 18  2014 totem
  3 kilpatms  1000   17 Aug 18  2014 tracker
  4 kilpatms  1000   44 May 21 09:01 Trash
  1 kilpatms users 1478 Jan 15 22:23 user-places.xbel
  1 kilpatms users    0 Jan 15 22:23 user-places.xbel.tbcache
  2 kilpatms users   20 Mar 18 11:10 vlc
  3 kilpatms  1000   25 Aug 17  2014 webkit
(PERMS deleted for brevity)

So on the command line as user I can reach ~/.local/share/evolution, but as root I can NOT do so!

WTF!

I tried removing and reinstalling Evolution. Didn't help.
Two questions:

1.  Does anyone have an explanation for this oddity? Note that as root, the ls command misstates the ownership of the files as well.
2. Can anyone point me to a repo for CentOs/Fedora that has the missing parts of KDE, specifically kmail?

Sean

ps  Had to send this out via webmail