[ale] WIFI mystery speed problems

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue Feb 23 12:58:49 EST 2016

802.11n isn't a single standard, rather it is a group of loosely
connected standards. An "n" compatible device might only provide 2.4Ghz
and 75Mbps connections (effective throughput around 50-ish Mbps.)  Then
they added 5.8Hgz, more channels, frequency hopping ... the $30 'N'
routers don't support all those things and the $200 routers probably
don't support every thing completely to specs.

Wifi is ugly.

Go wired whenever possible, even if a USB dongle must be used, it is
worth it.

Every vendor is good and bad about something, so we will each have
different results. I've been burned by Netgear stuff - and every Sunday
the Netgear wifi is what locks up at the meetup.