[ale] [OT] good hardware for a learner!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:00:02 EDT 2016

I don't push hardware unless it's mine or I'm just drooling over it.

However....

http://ebay.to/1VSdviy

That's a bitly link to an ebay listing for several Dell 1U systems.
They have the basics of everything to get jumping on Linux from power
management to virtualization all for $213 (including shipping). These
are reliable, solid machines that are out of date for current
commercial use (DDR2 RAM is far more costly that DDR3 per GB) but
perfect for someone who wants server-class gear at home to learn on.

I usually get supermicro but they all have odd quirks that make them a
pain. New ones are a great deal on that price/power/pain curve. Dell is
over priced when new. IBM is stupidly over priced new (and used!).

Just my $0.02
--
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.