[ale] Opinions solicited on current status of ddwrt antenna bridging.

David Millians millia at panix.com
Tue Sep 1 10:07:07 EDT 2015

On 9/1/2015 9:44 AM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
> On 09/01/2015 09:34 AM, David Millians wrote:
>>
>> I need to setup a point-to-point antenna bridge. It's been several years
>> since I did this with ddwrt on a wrt54gs and point-to-point antennae.
>>
>> A quick google showed old results- so if anybody has done this within
>> the past year, and can suggest new equipment that's cool and effective,
>> please do so.
>
> Ubiquiti. Cheap for what they do. Amazing compared to any home-router-wifi.

I'll clarify.

We have a full aruba infrastructure- which I like, and hope HP doesn't
foul up. Their switches are nice, too.
We have fiber out to a field house, and wifi out there. Unfortunately,
they have special need of a faster connection out in the press box.
(Long term, we hope to use that fiber to wire up the press box, but
there's not a clear cut educational goal there to make funding it easy,
so it'd have to come out of local budget or booster club.)

In the past, I've setup one-off connections using small routers and
directional antennas:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged
It looks cool, makes us look techie, is cheaper than other bridging
stuff, and also makes it easier to justify adding nodes to the network
once people get a connection. You get them hooked, as it were.

But my temp rig for this was at the other job, and they've sadly
surplussed all the gear. So I need to buy some new. Rather than buy some
wrt54gs again, I was wondering if anybody had good recs on other routers
and/or yagi antennas or sources.