[ale] Restricting users to sftp

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Thu May 28 10:09:21 EDT 2015

For years now, we have been using RSSH to restrict users to sftp-only on our web servers.
http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/
Unfortunately, this is pretty much an abandoned project, now.
The way it works is that you just change the user’s shell to rssh, and sftp/scp is the only thing allowed. You can also set a umask in the rssh.conf file  in /etc
I’m looking for a way to do this without using RSSH. I see instructions for sftp-only/chroot for OpenSSH,but that seems a little much for what we are wanting to accomplish.  My only goal is the prevent shell access – I don’t need the chroot setup.
Any clever ideas?
Thanks.
Allen B.
--