[ale] CentOS 6.6 Kernels?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:55:45 EDT 2015

RHEL uses a "point in time" model for each release. So that is a stock
2.6.32 kernel with 500+ patches applied. Each patch is a backport from a
later kernel that is a security or bug fix. As a rule, no feature changes
are applied like scheduler, etc. They will backport support for newer
hardware.

They do the same thing with glibc, gcc, etc.

The way to understand this is to consider you have a mission critical
application that runs well on centos 6. The application will get updated,
rereleased, etc. over time. But for now, it works well on this release. By
using this model, the updates needed for security and bugs will have little
to no impact on the mission critical application. However, if you use a
kernel.org version, each change is a hodgepodge of feature changes as well
as as what you need.

When it's time for a major upgrade to your applications, you build a new
machine running the latest and greatest version of RHEL.  The old hardware
is still running the old version until the plug is pulled and the hardware
is repurposed or recycled (into development machines).

Since each RHEL release overlaps the support time for prior releases,
there's time to have dual systems running if needed. There's also no big
rush for a major upgrade as the bug and security patches will keep flowing.

So getting 10 years of use from a mission critical application release that
cost a zillion dollars to launch is the driving factor for the process.

>From an admin standpoint, breaking systems into release clusters is easy.
It also works well for devops. For advanced access, put devels on Fedora
and upgrade daily. It forces them to write broader rather than rely on
hyper-tight versions.

Over the years, the running joke was "RedHat x.2" was the rock solid
version. With RHEL, it's become x.1 . Once a new version arrives, the later
updates to the prior release may include optional preview and/or
transitional code. It's still the same base kernel, libs, compiler, but
other stuff may begin to include feature changes. So 6.6 requires some
extra reading of update notices.