[ale] Virtual networks

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Tue May 12 15:01:23 EDT 2015

Network separation is smart. That may or may not use VLANs.

Most cheap home networking gear doesn't support VLANs anyway.  A $20 GigE switch
on a different network provides better network segmentation than VLANs can. Just
need more cables and NIC ports, then setup the router with different subnets on
each port. Easy-peesy.

If you have a $100+ managed switch and want to run with VLANs, fine. They are
NOT necessary, however.

That is all I'm saying.

Most end-users just want files accessible when remote. sftp handles that. Show
them WinSCP if they use _that other OS_.

On 05/12/2015 02:34 PM, Dustin Strickland wrote:
> Yes, the bridges were created manually. I didn't have much luck either with the
> automagic bridges the first time I tried them out; haven't touched them since.
> The host is running Debian 7.8. I have until this point been using ssh from
> outside my LAN to connect to my host as well as the VMs.
>
> In what sense do I not need a VLAN? I realize this sort of setup doesn't do
> much(or anything at all) for security from inside the host, but some services I
> prefer to keep off my LAN as well due to the presence of user-possessed Windows
> machines(conversely, some of the VMs have no reason to be on my LAN either).
> Additionally, some VMs may eventually be migrated to hardware or perhaps a VPS
> service and hosted in a separate location, so the VPN may have been a required
> step in the future to keep everything connected(this is all residential stuff
> behind NAT routers, I have no direct connection).
>
> So far as group controls, I have no need for those. At least for the moment,
> anyone who connects will need to access it all(mostly myself, but ~2-3 other
> users). If I need additional controls in the future, the existing machines are
> already in the same block so it wouldn't be too much of a headache to implement
> something like what you suggested for grouping... Most are Debian servers
> running typical things -- LDAP, Postfix, Dovecot, Apache, MySQL, NFS, etc. No
> [important] systems exist that run something other than some flavor of Linux.
> Samba can do its thing somewhere else :P
>
> Admittedly, I'm coming to realize I may not know what I am doing in regards to
> this, but wouldn't having this separate network between the VMs allow for an
> easier migration to a multi-site setup like this in the future, and doesn't it
> allow for some degree of separation from my LAN/WAN? If not, do you have any
> suggestions?
>
> On 5/12/2015 1:22 PM, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> You don't need any VLANs at all.
>>
>> I've never had luck using the auto-generated bridges from libvirt - I always
>> manually create it.
>> Different distros do this differently - which disto are you?
>>
>> Vlans are just tagging - nothing to do with security. Think of it as a "this
>> way" sign when there is a fork in a road.  Good, honest people will go the
>> suggested way, then there are the rest of us with time to "explore" down the
>> other way.
>>
>> OpenVPN is extremely flexible - that is a plus and a minus. Perhaps if you
>> described the environment for it, someone smarter than me could help?  Things
>> like how many clients, which mix of OSes, do you need samba to work across it
>> (ugly and abusive to the network), how cleanly are the LAN devices to be
>> provided with access grouped?  For example, I group servers that other people
>> need access over VPN together so only 1 rule is needed for those.  As an admin,
>> I wanted access to the entire subnet and a few other networks.  Some people
> [...]

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media centers, and
servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT professionals.